A.D. German Warehouse
Richland Center, WI 1915
This four-story structure rises from a concrete base with a red brick exterior crowned by an intricate frieze of gray concrete. A grid of massive, steel-reinforced concrete columns with flaring capitals carry the weight of the floor sand roof. The insulating effect of the double brick wall construction created a cold storage environment for this warehouse before mechanical refrigeration. By 1919, estimated construction costs that began at $30,000 had reached $125,000 and client Albert Dell German eventually lost the building through bankruptcy proceedings. In 2014, after two years of combined local and national preservation efforts, local philanthropists purchased the structure for restoration and rehabilitation.
For more information:adgermanwarehouse.org