Bloomfield Hills, MI 1940
Wright adapted his Usonian plan to a steep site in this 2,350-square-foot house. It is T-shaped, with the entrance at the crossing. Access to the main living area is through a sky-lit loggia with an open well to a lower-level garden and stream. The functions of living, dining and work rooms are consolidated in a unified space that spans a 40-foot ravine. A balcony wraps two sides of the cantilevered living room. The bedroom wing anchors the house to the hill. At the center an atrium looks down on a reflecting pool and pulls up cool air for natural air conditioning. The Afflecks’ children donated the house in 1978 to Lawrence Technological University, which has undertaken its restoration.
For more information:ltu.edu/architecture_and_design/places_affleck_house.asp