Beth Sholom Synagogue
Elkins Park, PA 1954
Every element of Beth Sholom Synagogue was formulated to reflect some aspect of Jewish faith or practice in a distinctly contemporary building. The structure’s hexagonal plan mirrors the shape of cupped hands, the translucent pyramidal roof takes the form of the mountain, the light filtering through its walls symbolizes the gift of the law and the projecting metal spines on the building’s exterior represent the seven flames of the menorah. The 100-foot-high roof is supported by a frame of three steel beams. The roof’s faces are formed from a sandwich of wired glass on the exterior and corrugated plastic on the interior. The main sanctuary can accommodate 1,100 people. The building opened five months after Wright’s death.
For more information:bethsholompreservation.org