Cincinnati, OH 1954
Designed in 1954 and completed in 1956, the Boulter House is 2,500-square-foot, two-story Usonian home that sits atop a steeply sloping site in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Clifton. Mrs. Boulter was the daughter of Henry J. Neils, whose Minneapolis residence Wright designed in 1949. Resembling a ship, the house is constructed of African and Philippine mahogany, Doulgas fir, concrete block and glass. The house features a 28-foot-long great room wrapped on three sides with 10-foot tall windows. Marked on a 4-foot module, the house’s original four bedrooms are only 98 square feet each, another nod to its nautical imagery. An addition to the home in 1958 provided a playroom for the Boulters’ two sons and was later converted to a spacious master suite. In 1990, the home’s carport was enclosed and adjoined to the main house under the oversight of Taliesin-trained architect Benjamin Dombar. Later sensitive updates to the master bath and dining room were designed by architect Chris Magee. The sale includes Wright-designed chattel and ephemera.
For more information:cincinnatimodern.com