Cedar Rock, Lowell and Agnes Walter House
Winthrop, IA 1945
Cedar Rock’s 11-acre site on a limestone bluff high above a bend in Iowa’s Wapsipinicon River includes the main house, a two-story boathouse, an outdoor hearth and an entrance gate. In 1945, Frank Lloyd Wright published the design he referred to as a “glass house” in Ladies’ Home Journal. The main house living area is a 900-square-foot combined living room, dining alcove and conservatory with three exterior glass walls providing spectacular views of the valley. A central clerestory and skylights provide an interior garden with natural light. According to provisions in Walter’s will Cedar Rock became the property of the people of Iowa and is administered by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
For more information:friendsofcedarrock.org