Community Christian Church
Kansas City, MO 1940
Financial considerations and restrictive building codes greatly compromised Wright’s original design for what he called “the church of the future.” The angular facade and rhombus-shaped plan conform to the irregularities of the sloping site. Gunite was sprayed over sheets of corrugated steel that were then sandwiched together to form the walls. The innovative material allowed Wright to reduce the thickness of the walls to a mere 2.75 inches. The four searchlights for Wright’s envisioned “Steeple of Light” were installed in 1994. The chapel, fellowship hall and Main Street entrance were later additions not of Wright’s design. The building is open for self-guided tours during office hours and guided tours by appointment.
For more information:community-christian.org