Fallingwater, Edgar and Liliane Kaufmann House
Mill Run, PA 1935/ 1938
The celebrated design of this house for Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar J. Kaufmann is the realization of Wright’s romantic vision of man living in harmony with nature. He anchored a series of reinforced concrete “trays” to the masonry wall and natural rock forming the rear of the house that cantilever over the falls. The first-floor entry, living room and dining room are integrated in a single continuous space. The upper floors are divided into bedroom suites with private terraces. Expanses of glass and wraparound corner windows dissolve the boundary between interior and exterior spaces. In 1963, the Kaufmann family donated the entire property to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, which manages regular tours of the property.
For more information:fallingwater.org