Florida Southern College
Lakeland, FL Begun 1938
Florida Southern College is the largest single-site collection of Wright architecture in the world. Over 20 years, buildings of Wright’s design took form on the lakeside campus, beginning in 1938 with the hexagonal Annie Pfeiffer Chapel, the tallest building of the complex. Its angular, vertical silhouette provides a counterpoint to the low, flat-roofed, rectangular seminar buildings of 1940 and the circular reading room of the original Roux Library, completed in 1945. Other Wright-designed structures are the Watson/Fine Administration Buildings, Ordway Building, Danforth Chapel, Polk County Science Building, and a faculty house design built in 2013 as the new visitors center. The buildings are uniformly constructed with tan-colored, reinforced textile-block walls.
For more information:flsouthern.edu/visitors/fllw-visitors.aspx