Francisco Terrace Apartments Archway
Oak Park, IL 1895
In 1895, Wright designed the two-story apartment building Francisco Terrace for Edward C. Waller, an important early patron of Wright’s. After years of neglect, the original 44-unit building was demolished in 1974, despite attempts by local preservationists to save the structure. The archway, all cut stone, terra-cotta coping and corner courtyard stair motifs were dismantled and reconstructed at 639 Lake St. in Oak Park at the entrance to a building of similar exterior design yet smaller scale and plan. The large semicircular arch distinguishes the barrel-vaulted public entrance to the courtyard. The efflorescent terra-cotta ornament within the spandrels clearly reflects Wright’s training with Louis Sullivan.