Frank L. Smith Bank
Dwight, IL 1905
The simple dignity and solidity of the cut stone facade of this bank building, prominently situated on a small-town main street, is consistent with Wright’s belief that banks should express their own character rather than resemble temples of worship. The plan of the square building is as simple and forthright as its stone exterior. A central entrance divided the public space into a banking room on one side and a main office on the other with space for three offices at the rear. The walls are trimmed with narrow wood strips in a spare geometric pattern. Originally, a large skylight provided natural light and ventilation.
For more information:pnb-kewanee.com/about-us/dwight