Stanford, CA 1936
Abandoning for the first time the square or rectangle in favor of the hexagon for the grid and plan, Wright found a new freedom and flexibility in the Hanna House. Walls joined at 120-degree obtuse angles create an interior of fluid space and unrestricted views. The house grew through successive additions to encompass 4,825 square feet. While generally considered a Usonian, the eventual size and cost far surpassed the means of the typical “middle American,” but the reliance on a grid, interior and exterior board-and-batten walls, and central location of the kitchen are characteristics shared with Wright’s Usonians. It is owned by Stanford University, which completed a restoration of the house in 2000.
For more information:hannahousetours.stanford.edu