Kinney, Margaret and Patrick, House
Lancaster, WI 1951
The Kinney House was designed by Wright in 1951 for Patrick Kinney, his wife Margaret, and their three children. Margaret had initially experienced Wright’s architecture firsthand while working at Taliesin as an assistant to Wright’s sister, and was inspired to commission Wright for their home. Construction was completed in 1953. The original plan consisted of a double hexagonal central core housing the living room, dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and a bathroom. A linear wing housing two bedrooms and a second bathroom extended from the core. After completion, the arrival of a fourth child necessitated an addition for two more bedrooms and a bathroom. Taliesin Fellow John H. Howe, who had supervised the construction of the original house, designed the addition.