Marin County Civic Center
San Rafael, CA 1957
Construction had just begun on the Marin County Civic Center at the time of Wright’s death in 1959. William Wesley Peters and Aaron Green became the project directors. The 584-foot-long Administration Building and 880-foot-long Hall of Justice bridge the valleys between three adjacent hills. At the center is a flattened dome, 80 feet in diameter, crowned by a 172-foot gold tower encasing a smokestack. Wright planned the central atriums to be open to the sky, but practical considerations prompted a change to barrel-vaulted skylights after his death. The site includes a post office that is the only constructed U.S. government facility that Wright designed and a fourteen-acre lagoon with an island.
For more information:marincounty.org/depts/cu/tours