Grand Rapids, MI 1908
The May House’s horizontal emphasis, concrete water table, raked horizontal mortar joints, deep eaves and rhythmic window groupings are hallmarks of Wright’s mature Prairie houses. The geometric oak trim throughout the house was scaled to the modest height of the owner. Wright specified the use of reflective gold glass in the mortar joints of the fireplaces, where its iridescent sparkle lightens the dense masonry wall. George M. Niedecken was responsible for the execution of the furnishings and decorative arts throughout the house. In 1987 the house was purchased and restored by Steelcase—the Grand Rapids furniture company that built the Wright-designed workspaces for the SC Johnson Administration Building.
For more information:meyermayhouse.steelcase.com