Belvidere, IL 1906
Emma Glasner Pettit commissioned Wright to design a chapel for the Belvidere Cemetery as a memorial to her husband, Dr. William H. Pettit, who had grown up in Belvidere. Wright had designed a house in Glencoe, Illinois, for Mrs. Pettit’s brother William Glasner in 1905. The small Prairie-period structure has a cruciform plan that terminates in lateral porches, a hipped roof with broad eaves, bands of art glass windows, horizontal wood trim and a central brick fireplace. The building was restored in 1981. Call management at the phone number posted on the door to request interior access to the chapel during the cemetery’s open hours.