Pilgrim Congregational Church
Redding, CA 1958
Wright referred to the design of this church as “pole and boulder gothic.” His master plan shows the main sanctuary facing down a sloping hill, with a small chapel on one side and administration offices and a library on the other. Another wing contained a fellowship hall, classrooms and a nursery. After Wright died in 1959, Taliesin Associated Architects took the project over and constructed the planned fellowship hall as the main sanctuary of the church. The remainder of Wright’s plan was not constructed. Parishioners and volunteers from the community completed most of the construction using more than 90 tons of rock. Reinforced concrete replaced the redwood trusses Wright intended to support the roof.
For more information:pilgrimchurchredding.org