Mason City, IA 1908
Wright first published a variation on the plan of this compact Prairie-style house as “a Fireproof House for $5,000” in a 1907 issue of the Ladies’ Home Journal. The nearly square first-floor plan opens to a veranda on one side and a large entry hall with a cantilevered eave on the opposite side. The living room and dining room are essentially continuous, separated only by the fireplace block. The kitchen is at the rear, and the four bedrooms on the second floor. In 1989 the Stockman House was moved to its present location, adjacent to the Rock Crest/Rock Glen National Historic District, where it was restored by its current owner, the River City Society for Historic Preservation.
For more information:stockmanhouse.org