Scottsdale, AZ Begun 1938
In 1937, Wright purchased 600 acres of rugged land in the Sonoran Desert and established a desert camp that would serve as his winter home, studio and architectural laboratory until his death in 1959. Constructed with desert masonry walls to mirror the colors, textures and forms of the landscape, the complex of buildings was continually altered and expanded to comprise a drafting studio, Wright’s office and private living quarters, dining facilities, three theaters and a workshop, as well as residences for apprentices and staff, all situated among pools, terraces and gardens. Today the site is the headquarters of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and the main campus of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture.
For more information:franklloydwright.org/taliesin-west