Spring Green, WI Begun 1911
The adolescent summers Wright spent on the Wisconsin farmland owned by his mother’s family fostered an appreciation for nature that would inspire his philosophy of organic architecture. In 1911, he returned to this familiar ground to build a new house for himself. A residence, working farm, studio and school, Taliesin evolved over nearly five decades. Partially destroyed by fire in 1914 and 1925, the house was rebuilt and enlarged each time. Wright also designed buildings on adjoining land for his family, including the Hillside Home Building in 1887, the Romeo and Juliet Windmill (built in 1897 and reconstructed in 1992), a new Hillside Home School building in 1902-3, the Prairie-style house Tan-y-deri in 1907, the Midway Barns beginning in the 1920s and the structure housing the current visitors center in 1953 (it was built in 1967). In 1932 he converted the Hillside Home School gymnasium to a theater and constructed a large drafting room and dormitory rooms to accommodate his architectural training program, which operates today as the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture.
For more information:taliesinpreservation.org