Springfield, OH 1906
Built in 1907, the Westcott House shows the strong influence of Wright’s 1905 trip to Japan. The house is cruciform in plan with a fireplace and built-in benches at the center. A 90-foot pergola joins the main house to the carriage house. After Mr. Westcott’s death in 1926, the house was subdivided into a multiunit apartment building in the early 1940s, destroying the integrity of Wright’s design. Its condition severely deteriorated over the years. By 1996, the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy began a years-long intervention to save the house, purchasing it from the then owner and completing urgent stabilization work before selling it to Westcott House Foundation for full restoration in 2001. In 2005 it was opened to the public as a historic house museum.
For more information:westcotthouse.org/#load