Public Wright Sites Begin to Reopen
Photo by Eric Allix Rogers
December 2020: Due to rising COVID-19 cases, many sites have again been forced to close. Don't attempt to visit a site without first determining whether and on what basis it is currently operating.
The list of reopening sites below was updated through October 2020. Unfortunately it is now out-of-date as a number of areas have mandated closures once again. Consider purchasing memberships, patronizing gift shops, prepaying for future tours, or making donations to public sites you care about to help sustain them through this difficult time. Hopefully most sites will be able to safely reopen in spring 2021.
The sites listed below have reopened for at least some public tours. If you are planning a visit, we strongly urge you to consult each particular site’s website for the most up-to-date information and details about ticketing and safety protocols.
- June 1: Taliesin (Spring Green, Wisconsin) reopens with limited capacity and safety precautions. Details.
- June 1: Gordon House (Silverton, Oregon) reopens with limited capacity and safety precautions. Details.
- June 2: Rosenbaum House (Florence, Alabama) reopens to the public. Details.
- June 4: Cedar Rock, Lowell and Agnes Walter House (Independence, Iowa) reopens by reservation only. Details.
- June 6: Price Tower (Bartlesville, Oklahoma) reopens for tours, gallery and museum visits, dining, and overnight stays, with safety precautions. Details.
- June 13: Fallingwater (Mill Run, Pennsylvania) reopens with new outdoor-only tours. Details.
- June 13: Kentuck Knob (Dunbar, Pennsylvania) reopens with safety precautions. Details.
- June 17: Allen House (Wichita, Kansas) reopens with limited capacity and safety precautions. Details.
- June 17: Wright on the Park tours of the Historic Park Inn Hotel and the Rock Crest/Rock Glen neighborhood (Mason City, Iowa) resumed with online-only registration and safety precautions. Details.
- June 19: Polymath Park, including Duncan House and Lindholm House (Acme, Pennsylvania), is open for overnight stays, tours, and meals, with advance registration and safety precautions in place. Details.
- June 26: The Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio (Oak Park, Illinois) and Robie House (Chicago, Illinois), operated by the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust, reopen for indoor tours with safety precautions. Details.
- June 27: Laurent House (Rockford, Illinois) reopens with limited capacity and safety precautions. Details.
- June 27: Westcott House (Springfield, Ohio) reopens with safety precautions. Details.
- July 15: Dana-Thomas House (Springfield, Illinois) is open daily for pre-booked tours. Details.
- July 18: Affleck House (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan) resumes public tours with advance registration, capacity constraints, and safety precautions. Details.
- July 31: Stockman House (Mason City, Iowa) reopens for pre-booked tours with safety precautions. Details.
- August 1: Graycliff (Derby, New York) reopens with reservation-only tours and safety precautions. Details.
- August 15: Pope-Leighey House (Alexandria, Virginia) reopens for limited weekend-only tours with advance registration and safety precautions. Details.
- September 11: Melvin and Sara Smith House (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan) at Cranbrook resumes public tours. Advance registration is required and the tours may be cancelled if deemed unsafe. Details.
- October 15: Taliesin West (Scottsdale, Arizona) reopens to the public with new tours and safety protocols. Details.
- October 29: Beth Sholom has reopened for guided tours, booked in advance with safety precautions. Details.
- October 30: the Harold Price Sr. House (Paradise Valley, Arizona) has resumed monthly guided tours. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates, availability, and further details.
- October 30: The Guggenheim Museum has reopened with timed tickets.
- November 24: Martin House (Buffalo, New York) has once again closed to public visits, but will offer virtual tours.
A number of public sites remain closed for tours but are available for overnight stays. These include:
- Emil Bach House (Chicago, Illinois). Details.
- Seth Peterson Cottage (Reedsburg, Wisconsin). Details.
- Still Bend, Bernard and Fern Schwartz House (Two Rivers, Wisconsin). Details.
Wright Virtual Visits
If you’re still sitting tight at home, Wright Virtual Visits are an excellent way to experience sites all across the country from the safety of your computer or smartphone.
Wright Virtual Visits
Public sites still need your support
Public sites that rely on ticket revenue have suffered greatly due to closures this spring. Now, as they contemplate reopening, they face reduced tour capacity and increased safety and cleaning expenses. Please support your favorite Wright sites by joining, pre-paying for future tours or events, or making donations.
Explore All Public Wright Sites